Sunday, December 03, 2006

In Praise of Indoor Plumbing

Just a thought -
I would make a terrible pioneer wife. That said, I appreciate indoor plumbing sooooo much. The fact that I can get up, and take a warm shower in the morning is a luxury that I enjoy. I can wash my dishes in warm water at the lifting of a lever. I can bathe my kids by turning the faucet, and in moments a warm, clean bath is drawn for them. These are exquisite goods. And now that the weather has gotten downright cheeky in Evanston (glorious sunlight but skin searing cold) I am so thankful that I don't have to hike to the outhouse when the need arises. How did those wonderful women do it for all of that time - no running water, no electricity, no central air, no indoor toilets? Their toil must have been great. They cooked and cleaned and ran their homes and put up supplies sufficient for winter by canning and smoking and salting and drying. On top of all of this, most of them endured rustic conditions for childbirth, and in fact did so multiple times. Incredible.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home