Tuesday, January 09, 2007

DMV Dud

On Fridays Ella and Lilly enjoy the company of their babysitter Nora for four hours while I scurry out and either take care of drudge errands or read a newspaper with abandon (the latter a veritable day spa for me). Today was the day: the dreaded DMV. I'd been wanting (too strong a word to be sure) to get it done for some months - the car registration and new driver's license.
I had a vague idea where I was going (I knew where the street was) and was on my way after dropping the girls off. I was hoping to stitch up the whole errand right quick, and then return in a tornado to my home to clean and who knows? to blog a bit. When all of a sudden while braking at a stop sign, a pedestrian steps into the road and waves me down. She was from an eastern country - I rolled my window down. She asked if I was going to the tech building - and could she ride with me? I said no, I'm not going to the tech building (presumably at Northwestern U.). She said, well, you're going straight aren't you? It's right down there (she gestures vaguely) Can I get in? Well, ok, I guess so, I said. I don't know where said tech building is; but as the road comes to a T in about three blocks, I figure it's right there at the last corner. I grudgingly pull all my junk out of the passenger seat as she climbs in. We ride in silence for a block. She says, you are a northwestern student? I said, no, no I'm not. Silence. We come to the "T". She points to the right and says, it's there. It's at that light. You are going this way aren't you? No, I wasn't, I say. But you can drop me? she says. I guess, I say.
Up ahead there are two lights. I assume it's at the first. But no, it's about five more blocks down, straight ahead. So I sort of pull over at the second light to let her out (all she'd have to do was cross the street) but she says, no it's over there. Sooo..... I turn left at the intersection and pull awkwardly into a busy driveway at NU so she can get out of my car. Thanks, she says and is on her way.
I couldn't shake the feeling that I'd just been ordered around, and had gone out of my way, and had used my rare personal time in doing this. I wasn't angry, just stunned and a little annoyed.

But then - the awful epiphany.

As a follower of Christ it is my privelege to serve all manner of people, neighbor or stranger, though serving them be thankless (!) that I may receive the blessing and opportunity of sharing with them the love Jesus has given to me. That love which is supposed to be welling up inside of me - from the abundance of his heart a man speaks. But I could not utter words of welcome and warm greeting to this woman. She was inside of my time, my space, and I owed her nothing. Except for this - Jesus laid down His LIFE for me - and I but a remote stranger to Him. Is there anything left I can hide behind? Today I understood that my Lord and His good pleasure must come before my to-do list.

1 Comments:

At 10:39 PM , Blogger Nick said...

I feel for you sister - how frustrating and odd. This reminds me of a story that Charles Sheldon writes about in his book, In His Steps". Click on the title to hear the first chapter.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home