Monday, January 22, 2007

Language of Progress

I went to an Open House last week at a potential preschool for Ella. It is affiliated with a Presbyterian Church (and on the church premises). The director made a distinction at the beginning of her introduction, that the preschool was Christian insofar as they embrace all faiths. That, and they celebrate all holidays throughout the year instead of none, and since they share space with the Presbyterian Church there are bulletin boards in the classrooms with Bible verses on them, but that's for Sunday School. The church, she said, views the school as an Outreach Ministry to the community; that is, there is a need for the school in the community of Evanston and this school helps meet that need.
All of this was interesting to me - in a secular, postmodern sort of way. That is not, by the way, to say that it was NOT interesting, because I do find it compelling if simulataneously vexing.
The mom in front of me was rubbernecking during this introduction (not sure who she was looking for) and at the end when the question period was offered, she said, I see in your mission statement that you say you offer early childhood ed. in a Christian environment. Can you elaborate on that? And there was this exhale throughout, like everyone was relieved she'd pointed out the elephant in the room (Christ) and inquired as to its purpose.
The director reiterated: we are Christian in the sense that we respect all points of view. And there are Bible verses on bulletin boards because we share space with the church's Sunday school.
Oh ok, said the Mom, and everyone was happy enough with this answer, and as we were leaving I heard people talking about how they used to go to such and such church but because of this or that they just don't go anymore. And it seemed so feeble to me - this great delight in being Progressive - the cherished meaning of which is that no one single ideology is adopted. A relative of Nathan's once wrote that she hoped she'd never be completely sure of anything in regard to religion.
But here's the thing: I look around at the world so redolent with sorrow, grief, anger, bitterness, and tragedy and I know I cannot live without Jesus. There's too much to bear without Him. I look at the joy, beauty, and love and I can't be fully grateful for it without a Someone to be grateful to. But not just any Someone - one who took on my flesh to see what it was like to be me. One who offered his life in exchange for my ultimate safety, without knowing me. One who makes it possible for everyone to receive life abundantly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home