Thursday, January 25, 2007

So What?

So I had this thought this morning while brushing my teeth. So what if I never do anything outside of being a home-maker? It's a pretty good way to spend my time, as far as that goes. It's enjoyable, it's not stressful, and I get to take care of a lot of little details that matter to the well-being of those who live with me.
I don't want to be beguiled into thinking that we have to have a second income at some point. When our children are grown, maybe I'll do something that makes extra income, and maybe I won't. Maybe we'll never retire - but let's be real here. 3/4 of the world's population will not retire or, for that matter, ever own a brand new pair of socks. Being born into poverty means you work every day of your life from the time you are a child, and your worst enemies are hunger and disease. I'm pretty glad I don't have to look down the barrel of that shotgun.
And then I had another thought - that years from now God willing we might look back and think we escaped by the skin of our teeth. If something were to happen to Nathan right now, the girls and I would have nothing - in every literal sense of that word materially speaking. I would have to figure out, suddenly, a career path, probably more school for me and child care for the girls - not to mention where we would get some money to pay rent and buy groceries. I felt, to be truthful, that I am risking the girls' lives - putting them in a position to have the rug pulled from under them.
But - this may sound crazy - I think I would like to live like this. I think there is something good for me in these means - and God knows it. If I had means that were abundant, I would use it foolishly, piddling it away on trifles (not the dessert) and not using it with wisdom and unselfishness in my heart.
If this is good for the mother and the mother is receiving instruction, it is good for the children too. If mother's thoughts and heart are with the Lord on all things, how much more is there the potential for life in the home, and the perception of the children that Mom and Dad rely on God for everything, and they praise Him for His faithfulness.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home